10.26.21 ICU 35

Guest blogger #3

When we transfer to the Trach/vent floor, we will be under the MCC (Medically Complex Care) team instead of directly under pulmonary, although they will still be consults for Aimee’s care. This move is because of the continued bowel issues, MCC is better suited to handle this in conjunction with the new Trach. 

Aimee spiked a fever this afternoon and they took blood cultures to check again for infection. With her central PICC line they are very cautious and quick to want to rule out an infection. 

The G.I. consult came by this afternoon. Not our normal doctor and the team that I was excited about getting all of their inputs, but just the on call GI doctor. One of the most frustrating things about being inpatient at the hospital is that you don’t see your normal doctor, you only see who is on call that week. The doctor came in with an answer to a question that we had asked last week, which we already knew the response to and she wasn’t able to really answer anymore additional questions. She is going to go back and talk with her colleague to hopefully gather some more information. Until then we wait ….

The ICU attending that we have for this week has thanked me multiple times for being patient with them as they try to figure out Aimee’s gut. But really I thank them for being willing to be patient with Aimee. Sometimes I think people get impatient with how long it takes for her body to respond, so I appreciate the willingness to give her time to respond and not just give up on her gut function returning. 

In good news, I do feel like there has been some increased output and also air in her ostomy. 



I did get a moment when Aimee was awake and caught her looking at me. I feel like the moments of Aimee’s bright eyes and glow have been limited in these last couple of months so I cherish these times when I get to see into her eyes and she recognizes me. I pray that through all these tough moments for Aimee that we are able to restore her joy and glow. She has impacted so many along her journey including myself. I don’t even know what our lives would look like without Aimee’s impact, but I’m so thankful that we have been entrusted with her care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments and encouragements! Messages to Aimee are always welcome too. I will definitely read them to her. :)

Please be aware that I do moderate comments, so it will not appear immediately. If you have any trouble commenting, feel free to email us your thoughts to edr2005@gmail.com.