12.28.21 Trach Floor 62

My goodness today and its drama. 

The kids came down here on Christmas Eve. After the weekend, they came down with colds. This morning I woke up with a runny nose and sore throat. 😕 I told our nurse and we were put on strict covid protocol. I wasn’t allowed at rounds and I was told that I would need to go to UW to be covid tested. If positive, I couldn’t come back. I don’t have a car here. I’m in sandles (with socks 😏). It is cold and snowy. Not going to be a good outcome. I was feeling pretty anxious. 

Finally we got an exception since I would have to walk there in this weather. I was able to have a covid test done here in the room. Again, if positive, I would have to have to leave Aimee here. Negative result thank goodness. So we are on just viral precautions and I can wander the hospital at will. 😳 

Through all of that I was feeling pretty upset that we had brought the kids down. The younger two had seemed extra tired and we contemplated holding off just in case… I was really regretting that choice. 

Then, this evening the charge nurse came in with bad news, no more sibling visits allowed due to omicron and the patient load. 😭 Now I am so relieved that we did not postpone the kids coming just in case. If we had, they would not have been allowed to come at all! 

Now to keep Aimee from getting sick. 

Speaking of the star of this show, she laughed. She LAUGHED!! She has been giggling for much of the day and smiling great big smiles for all!! I haven’t seen her this well and happy since August. 😍 Oh my goodness my heart is filled when she is well. Here she is laughing on facetime with Louisa and Ed (and Walter). 



I was able to meet with some different doctors. The most important of today is that I was able to talk with General Surgery. We had a long conversation about the PICC line compared to a tunneled central line, procedures, risks and lumens. We cannot add lumens once a line is placed, but it does sound like we would be able to give meds and do TPN in a single lumen, so that issue is clear. We can do a single lumen. It isn’t clear if we should put Aimee through the procedure, but it is clear that it would be much much more convenient if we do. After talking with Ed, I think we will procede with placing a central line on her chest. Doing so will be toward one of our goals, keeping Aimee home. Going home with a PICC is a ticking time bomb, riskier, and more difficult to care for. Now that we have decided, we can move forward with scheduling the procedure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments and encouragements! Messages to Aimee are always welcome too. I will definitely read them to her. :)

Please be aware that I do moderate comments, so it will not appear immediately. If you have any trouble commenting, feel free to email us your thoughts to edr2005@gmail.com.