12.14.21 Trach Floor 48

By Ed 😬

Okay well, welcome back. Or I guess you have been here the whole time. It was me who hasn’t made an entry for awhile. We shuffled a lot of meds around to accommodate the next added medication being switched from IV to enteral, Diazepam. Just a little perspective on this, if we had not adjusted other med times, we would have been giving meds 9 different times thoughout the day and night (not including IV med times)! Each time we give a med enterally, we have to flush with water for one hour afterwards. Add that to the time it takes to give the meds themselves…That is a lot of the day doing meds! I believe that I have now consolidated down to 4 times a day, at least enterally. 👍

Aimee and I managed to go down to radiology to get the dreaded seated X-rays. Orthopedics needs them for her 6 month follow up appointment after the spinal fusion we did this summer. I think I have some PTSD about these X-rays. They have always been difficult for Aimee. It’s not a position she has ever done well with. It feels like all her life it takes about 3-4 people to hold her in this position. All the while you are trying to keep your hands and arms out of the X-ray, but also keep her breathing and suctioning the secretions. And without fail, the mobile suction machine they grab has a low battery. All good, we got the X-rays. 

This afternoon Urology came by as we had requested them to do. Long and short of it was that they do not want to put Aimee on a standing antibiotic, because she would then grow immune to the antibiotic and it would leave them with nothing to give her if she got a super bug. I may not have been the best advocate for this meeting. I did push him a bit with our current goals, but may not have been as strong as I should. In the end, I asked for a prescription that we could give if we saw signs of a UTI and he agreed to write one. He also recommended doing a 100 mls bladder flush with sterile water once a day as a preventative measure. 

Aimee slept most of the day away and was pretty junky and gagging. Not sure why just yet, but we did move around some of her meds today so that might be the culprit. This evening she seems more comfortable and is resting well. I’m pretty sure my blood pressure goes down as her heart rate goes down. I’m so much more relaxed when she is resting comfortably.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments and encouragements! Messages to Aimee are always welcome too. I will definitely read them to her. :)

Please be aware that I do moderate comments, so it will not appear immediately. If you have any trouble commenting, feel free to email us your thoughts to edr2005@gmail.com.