10.16.12 Strides In Sadness

Not long after putting Aimee to bed on Saturday night, she started crying. She had managed to get her comforter completely up covering her head. I think she was scared. For the next couple hours, she sobbed. I comforted her and tried putting her down in her own bed again several times. Even when I was laying down with her, she seemed to be afraid to be there. I brought her into our bed and within a few minutes she was sound asleep between Ed and I.

There is progress here that excites me. She was associating her sadness with the event that caused it and the place that it happened in too. Also, she was comforted by being in bed with us... Just a taste of what it would be like to have Aimee as a typical 3 year old scared to be in her own bed and wanting to sleep with her parents.

The next night, when she was awakened by Caleb's intent cries, she started sympathetically crying too. This would be typical infant behavior, but is again new territory for Aimee.

Not that I ever, ever want Aimee to have cause to cry. In fact, it always hurts my heart.Yet, I love that she has begun to connect a couple of emotional dots together. She is showing basic understanding of comfort, sadness, and even concern for her brother.

One other neat new action. She has several times, over this past week, held an object to her chest. She had started grasping and her grip has gotten stronger, but this is more of a full arm hug, typically on a stuffed animal.

We are preparing to leave this Saturday morning for another trip down to California. We are very excited to see what is in store for Aimee on this next trip.

Reporting to you next time from San Rafael!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments and encouragements! Messages to Aimee are always welcome too. I will definitely read them to her. :)

Please be aware that I do moderate comments, so it will not appear immediately. If you have any trouble commenting, feel free to email us your thoughts to edr2005@gmail.com.