9.7.12 Needed: Two Cookies

It has been one of those weeks. Misunderstandings by email with therapists, frustrations with scheduling appointments, meetings with school and teachers, expensive medical equipment not covered by insurance, fussy baby in an unsuccessful hearing exam, feverish Aimee, work stress escalating for Ed, fraudulent credit card transactions, incorrect hospital bill, 3 trips to pharmacy for 1 prescription, more limitations on daily activities, and burnt cookies. I realize eating cookies is not a mature way of dealing with the stress of reaching Friday and feeling like you just can't make yourself lunch. I just needed (well, wanted) two cookies. After everything else, please, just two cookies. Two cookies that are now burnt and smelling up my house. The smell reminding me that I can't even manage two cookies. And no, I don't know what I'm making for dinner. Burnt cookies anyone?

All that being said, there is much to be thankful for this week too. My nieces and brother's family who have helped to watch Caleb during Aimee's lessons twice a week. My sister-in-law and mom who have come over every week to care for Aimee so I can run errands. My niece who bought me Starbucks with her own money during a particularly long day of appointments yesterday. The stranger who opened a door for me that I couldn't get open. The nurse who held Caleb so that I could unpack Aimee's chair for weigh-in. The kind lady at the hospital parking garage who offered to help me. And most of all, my Ed, who has been selfless in the evenings even when he has been stressed and sick.

Aimee is starting school on the 17th again. Although the preschool teacher had originally hoped to have Aimee in class for 4 days a week this year, it is just too much for me right now. At least for this next few months with 2-3 trips to Bellevue/Seattle a week, 2 days a week in class seems much more reasonable. The teacher is on board with the suspension of all in school therapy for now. She even was willing to help me rewrite the IEP (Individual Education Plan) without having to face-to-face confront the team. I have received a few negative emails from different members, but I honestly don't blame them. They have seen success working with their method and they are skeptical of alternative options. Until I started seeing these changes in Aimee, I was skeptical too. BUT, I can't argue with progress! Maybe once they see the differences, they will be more open to it as well.

The only therapist that we have decided to continue working with is Aimee's vision teacher (TVI). She really cares about Aimee and is willing to make the effort to incorporate the basic principles in her sessions that we have applied at home. She was eager to gather more tools for helping Aimee succeed and even agreed to read the book. Aimee will continue to work with her on a weekly basis.


Video from last week shows some of Aimee's new single leg kicks.

More changes we have noticed this past week:
-Lifting her left leg singly and even touching the left foot to the right leg.
-Pulling her upper torso forward in her chair, as if to get out.
-More emotional periods or greater expression of emotions.
-Louder talking, even outside of home.
-More coordinated hand movement.
-Different tongue motions, even mock biting her tongue with it sticking sideways out of her mouth.
-Feeling her hair with both hands on top of head.
-Itching her nose with her right hand flat under her nostrils.
-Pushing her lower back and hips forward while in chair.

1 comment:

  1. Wow how cool, she's doing so good.. Caleb totally made me laugh out loud when he was whining like aimee got in his way or something haha

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments and encouragements! Messages to Aimee are always welcome too. I will definitely read them to her. :)

Please be aware that I do moderate comments, so it will not appear immediately. If you have any trouble commenting, feel free to email us your thoughts to edr2005@gmail.com.