8.21.12 Backseat Conversations

My disappointment has ended. Not all of them yet unfortunately, but one in particular.
In moving on to using the wheelchair van, we had to move Caleb to the very back seat by himself while Aimee is seated in the middle row in her chair. I will always fondly remember how they held hands when they were in their car seats next to each other. I couldn't tell you for sure who would initiate it, but I think it was Aimee. She would put her hand over on her baby brother and he eventually started grabbing and holding onto it.
Today on our way down to Aimee's lesson, my heart finally found peace about removing this ability for them to hold hands. I thought they were both napping in the back, but a bit into the drive, they started "chatting" back and forth. And my disappointment was no more. I'm quite sure I just heard the first of many backseat conversations. A sibling connection in the car is still happening and the mother's heart in me rejoices.

It was a great delight to have family and friends comment on the changes they noticed in Aimee over this past weekend. Her visual and vocal responsiveness, as well as, increased energy have caught others' eyes also!

Far from seeing regression since we returned home, we have in fact seen an increase in her learning. She is beginning to respond to the adjustments we've made in our daily life at home too. I have made it my goal this past week to just take time throughout each day to completely focus on Aimee. Not to change what she is doing or to work with her, but just to join her in her current position/activity. We have been laying next to each other on the floor, making sounds, and looking at each other. I know, this is like Parenting 101, but it is actually really challenging for me to force myself to do this (perhaps a multi-tasker personality problem). With Caleb, I do better. It seems easier to focus all my attention on him when there is a quick response. With Aimee, I have to force myself to wait for her responses. They are slow to appear and if I allow my mind to move on from that place of complete attention on her, I will most likely miss them all together. However, we both enjoy the connection once I do slow down and focus on her.

My goal for this coming week is to add attentive touch to our daily routines. During all the interactions that require physical contact between us, like diaper changes, brushing hair, giving water, ect, I am going pay attention to touch. I will attempt to switch out of auto pilot mode and essentially see her with my hands, noting her responses. Creating a connection with her this way can help her to pay attention herself to touch and movement. My hope is that at the same time I am caring for her, I can be helping her brain to take in new information that it can use to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments and encouragements! Messages to Aimee are always welcome too. I will definitely read them to her. :)

Please be aware that I do moderate comments, so it will not appear immediately. If you have any trouble commenting, feel free to email us your thoughts to edr2005@gmail.com.