9.24.10


Monday, Aimee and I met with the GI Nutritionist to discuss adjusting her diet to three meals of blended food with one of the formula. I have to admit that this is one of my least favorite departments. They seem to assume that you do not understand how to get proper nutrition to your child. The nutritionist was actually surprised to see that Aimee had still been gaining weight since I took over making one of the four meals for her. She was also quite upset that I bought a different type of industrial blender than the one they told me to. Really? If it works fine and doesn't clog the tube....isn't it my choice, especially considering I'm paying for it? Well, she is checking with the doctor on that issue! :)
They have also made it quite complex to add additional meals of blended food. Each meal has to match the exact calorie, protein, carbohydrate, fat, fiber, mineral and vitamin count found in the formula. Not over the course of a day or couple of days, but every single meal. It is like they are trying to make it impossible to do. I spent all day yesterday trying to come up with exact recipes and mostly I just ended up with frustration! I have 8 weeks to figure it out. They will then perform a dietary analysis to determine if I am meeting all of her needs for the three meals out of four. Oh my! Please pray for wisdom for me as I am working through these nutritional equations.

Aimee and I attended a workshop on Thursday to learn more about IEPs (Individual Education Program). It was with a group of parents of special needs children ranging from Aimee's age to 21. Interesting to learn about how the public school system works in regard to special needs and what the current laws are regarding the programs. A bit far into the future for us, but helpful to think through the challenges that parents a few years ahead of me are facing.

Aimee's chiropractic visits are going very well. She does seem to be trying to roll over from her back to her side quite a bit more in the last couple of weeks, although it is hard to say if that is a direct result of the chiropractic adjustments.
Another area of improvement has been in her eyesight. While it is still very difficult to say how much she is able to see, the last week or two she has been focusing for a second or two longer on our faces. She also is able to see light and movement, we think.

Thank you again to everyone who has been sharing our blog and website by email and facebook. Also, a BIG thank you to those who have been praying for us and those who have supported us with gifts and funds. We are VERY blessed by each one of you and overwhelmed by God's goodness to us through you.

3 comments:

  1. XOXOXO Lots of love from my heart to yours, Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Rosa that they are making it so difficult for you, not all dietitians are bad ;) It seems ridiculous to me that each meal individually has to meet the exact nutrient break down as the formula. Meeting the nutrient totals in a sum day should be adequate...Let me know if you need any help.

    Do you have access to a program like Food Processor, to help you analyze the meals? What a good mother you are to take this important issue upon youself and work through it and seemingly much opposition. How encouraging that Aimee is making these wonderful gains!!

    ~Christie Olson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christie-
    Oh I know that they can't all be this ornery! I don't have access to a program...how would I find such a thing? That would make this process 1000% easier (feeling dramatic today)!
    Thanks for the encouragement. I so appreciate it.
    -Rosa

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments and encouragements! Messages to Aimee are always welcome too. I will definitely read them to her. :)

Please be aware that I do moderate comments, so it will not appear immediately. If you have any trouble commenting, feel free to email us your thoughts to edr2005@gmail.com.