9.9.10

Yesterday Aimee and I were at her prep appointments for tomorrow's hearing exam. During the Otolaryngology appointment (ear/nose/throat) the doctor said she wanted to get my consent to test Aimee for Congenital CMV Disease. I had never heard of it before, but when she started describing it to me, I was very eager to try it out. It will take three months to get test results and even then they are not conclusive. Yet, I feel like this is the closest disorder we have found to date.
CMV (cytomegalovirus) is a very common viral infection, similar to mono, that a high percentage of people get during their lifetime. Most people don't even know that they have it, unless they have immune disorders. The only other time that it causes problems is when a woman contracts it for the first time while pregnant. It passes from her blood stream through the placenta and infects the baby. The most prevalent effect is hearing loss, but others are possible, including visual impairment, newborn jaundice, feeding difficulties, mental disability, microcephaly (small head), developmental delays, muscle tone abnormalities, ect.
I have always made it a rule to not research disorders that Aimee is being tested for unless she tests positive. However, this is the closest one we have found thus far...and it just would make sense if it was positive. I'll have to get back to you with the final word near the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments and encouragements! Messages to Aimee are always welcome too. I will definitely read them to her. :)

Please be aware that I do moderate comments, so it will not appear immediately. If you have any trouble commenting, feel free to email us your thoughts to edr2005@gmail.com.