7.7.12 Genius

More than being successful, more than being independent, more than being well educated, physically capable, or adjusted... what I really want for my children is to know that they are loved and free to be the genius they are created to be today.

I have been asked if I am closely monitoring Caleb's development. Really, I am not. One lesson that Aimee has taught me is that development is good, but it is also merely a guide. It should not be allowed to take my focus. It does not determine a future, an ability to love or affect others. Again, I do want to help my children reach their full potential and I pray for them every night that they would have dreams. I do want them to have aspirations and a successful future. I do want Aimee to someday sing and dance. However, we do not get to know how long life will be, so I cannot focus everything on their someday. At times I find myself saying, "When you are older", "When you grow up", "Someday you...". They may always be in training for who they will become (just as we all are), yet, the importance of who they are today should not be ignored.

light box vision therapy
This week I made up a daily schedule of therapy exercises. When the PT came for an appointment on Monday, she gave me two more daily requirements to add to the list. I just needed to see if they could even all fit in a day with allowances for eating and resting. It actually was possible, but it would have to be the focus of every moment and poor Caleb didn't fit in at all.

The reason why I am processing our life focus, is not because I plan to stop working with Aimee daily. It isn't that I will just toss all thought of tomorrow. It is simply that I find so much of my attention captured by the someday, the long term, that I neglect attending to today.

Today Aimee communicates love. She expresses joy. She shares peace in stormy moments. Yes, she is limited by her circumstances. Yes, it seems like she trapped in a cage. Yet, she can communicate with her heart in a way that I cannot. Her brain and her body don't know how to sing and dance, but her heart does better than anyone else I know. I pray that I do not squelch her current exceptional genius by focusing all attention on teaching her to live like the rest of us tomorrow.

Side Note: We were supposed to meet with Genetics, but ended up cancelling the appointment. Apparently they neglected to run a chromosome test for another possible disorder. A bit frustrating since they were supposed to start the process with banked DNA last July. Hoping to go in for the results of that test in a couple months. 

Ps. Check out the great family photos we got taken last weekend with 
Erin Cox Photography at HERE at erincoxphoto.com/blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments and encouragements! Messages to Aimee are always welcome too. I will definitely read them to her. :)

Please be aware that I do moderate comments, so it will not appear immediately. If you have any trouble commenting, feel free to email us your thoughts to edr2005@gmail.com.